Wednesday 18 September 2024

Midnight mass

 


A midnight mass.

They gave us

five years.

No more. No less.

End date set

on baked stone tablet.

Graffiti on desecrated ground.

A black sun amid burning sky.

Lobotomised thoughts

no longer rise

like sunshine

behind the eyes.

 

The eerie silence

is so hard to describe.

No words were spoken.

Nothing breaches the surface,

not the gurgled sounds inside,

or the scratch of my pen

as I scribe. Our world slowly choking

and there is nothing we can do

to amend the tide. Just sit along and

try to enjoy what's left of the ride.

 

That eerie soundless night,

always night

now the sun is fizzling out.

I never enjoyed the daytime,

my skin more accustomed

to cooler air that night would bring.

But how I'd embrace a single sun ray,

I'd dance in its heat and stay for eternity.

I still feel the earth's heartbeat

but it's like a phantom limb.

The noise doesn't follow.

It stops dead at your feet.

No echo to the beat,

just the sound

of something

thin and hollow.

 

We didn't realise how loud it all was,

until the sound was cloaked

in the thick airless smoke.

A vacuum of noise,

no hummed tune,

no grind, nor cracks as we stretch.

Nothing. Not even the sound of a breath.

It's like death. But quieter.

That scythe doesn't shriek

like nails down a chalkboard,

or a chain link fence creaking in the breeze.

Just emptiness

and its cold lifeless embrace.

A dead space

where sound evades

even the sharpest ears.

Those five years...

Gone. So quick.

Now just oil slick blankness.

In my minds last glance

I see those brown eyes

as I close mine.

 

 




Thanks for reading
Follow this link for more.
https://linktr.ee/Wordsandfluff
 
You can find my New books
"Tales from the 44A" and "Stations
here
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0DBKXPN13/
and here
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0DFV8N7XH
 
Please buy a copy if you can
it would really help me
continue to do this.

Peace, Love & Poetry
Kyle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here i will reply to all

Name

Email *

Message *