Sunday, 6 September 2026

A hug before summer leaves

 

Weathered veins climb the bark,

aiming for the stars, some light in the dark.

Sunlight of the heart.

And branches reach out through the sky,

peaceful arms to pull us closer in...

A hug before summer leaves.

 

Will you hold my heart once

the chill becomes real?

 

A dance in the summer evening breeze,

a whiplash heartbeat. And we sit on the

swaying tyre-swing, gripping tightly

to the moonbeams of love swinging

through the clouds. Childish glee

dancing across eyes that see

mystery and magic in perfect harmony.

 

I wish I could set an alarm,

sleep away the coming winter.

The drizzle, the downpours, the chill

cold of my heart without you.

The fire that ignites so much heat inside.

I could hide away, hibernate until May,

to always wake under a sky of vibrant blue,

not the grey clouds I see coming into view.

 

The dawdling rays of sunlight

amble across my skin, like the warming

embrace you pour around me.

A gift wrapped in heartstring ribbons.

My walls crumble little by little,

but it is too late I fear, for winter is knocking,

and there is a growing chill to the air.

 

For the winter of my mind

is bleak and unloved.

It is a rush of blizzards and snow flurries.

No daisies, no yellow buttercups.

Just harsh weather-beaten grass,

faded colours and mud-splattered memories,

haunting choir-sung melodies.

A time of loneliness,

a whispered promise freezing up,

an icy lake, a frost giant statue

of words I failed to say,

and some songs I should have played.

 

But maybe, I think, tear in my eye,

and a cry in mind, maybe this year,

I'll step into the cold and feel its magic.

The snow-capped streetlights,

the frostbitten high-rise,

the grey-haired trees.

The memories reflecting from the ice,

glorious colour pouring into my eyes,

fireworks light in my mind,

and I remember the magic of winter as a child.

And you hand me back my warmed heart

I think, okay, this year I'll play.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here i will reply to all

Name

Email *

Message *