Sunday 1 March 2020

City Life



Thomas Cook stands, alone, stone against the rain-soaked night
I'm home, back in this city that holds me so tight
she puts her arms around and hugs me back to life
the smile on my lips brims wide

The life of the city, its heartbeat
The rhythm of time-strapped pounding feet
is duller at this late hour
but the magic, the power
still has its hold on my hand
as we stroll along the New Walk
against the grey slate sheen of careening rain

In puddles, the art of the buildings reflect
how much we miss or neglect
so much lost at eye level, or gazing at a glaring screen
when just a few feet up there is beauty to be seen

Down old alleys, little nooks and crannies
these inner-city valleys
old dim lit streets hide secrets from the masses feet
not frequently used by the flocking hoards
out looking for a drink or another shopping fix
these are places unspoiled by modern glass fronted advertising boards
sold as a place to find promising goods
but just there to entice you in, by offering a treat
before force-feeding you overpriced pre-packaged falsehoods

On the main streets the crowd begin to congregate
as the night life starts to wake
dancing until the sun rises
or taking in a show, full of surprises

An old man sits in a wood lined pub drowning sorrows
he dreams of yesterday's promised tomorrows
watching life tell stories with every passing footstep
he takes another sip, laced with tears and regret

I like to sit and watch, let the tales take me
let the unspoken words seep through the air
as I watch it all passing me by
but I'm happy to be sat there
in this city that holds me, when the world doesn’t seem to care


Thanks For Reading.
Peace & Love.
Kyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here i will reply to all

Name

Email *

Message *