My handwriting has always been messy.
Well, I say always – sometimes it was just
minuscule. Barely writing at all.
Like me, it hid, just hugging the lines
of my page, hardly raising.
Just a slight jump, a flickering kick
of a dance, before it would
dive back to safety. Hugging the line.
That was until I got told
it was a little too small.
Now overwrought, I overthought.
I put all of my attention
into making the
letters pop. I'd curve them
high up, then let
them
drop.
But they just resembled
scribbles, or inkblots, or periodically
characters from some alien space plot.
No amount of work
would make them sit still
like all of the other kids' words did.
Mine were wild, untamed.
They didn't so much write
as exclaim. They leapt like flame,
angry scratched veins of word slurry.
But no matter what I did,
I could never make them...
Neat.
And this troubled me, because
the words could be perfect
but the letters,
they made my words
look like me. Out of place.
Different. A freak.
So I always dreaded handing in my words.
But on the flip side, my folders
were doodle works of art,
coated in hours of
landmarks - a memory here,
a song lyric there,
a landscape of all my layers.
Faces, beasts,
hearts scrawled with names
that wouldn't know I was alive at all.
Hidden secrets...
Not so hidden when you had to
hand them to teacher.
And the margins were
stretched out, sketchy waterfalls
of doodles and thought.
A draft work
of fluid art.
Monuments to what
I didn't know back then...
Who I was...
A child with ADHD.
I needed to constantly be moving.
Always letting my pen flow
where it needed, bleeding all
of my thoughts in ink to the sky,
and I seeded
those pages with so many
mini-masterpieces,
they could have held
an exhibition in my name.
But alas, I just got told to stop.
Not "use a blank piece of paper,"
not "is there something troubling you."
Just stop.
If you put as much effort
into your work as you
do daydreaming...
Never allowing the true child to bloom,
instead growing a weed in a darkened room.
But here's the thing. I passed all of the exams,
higher grades than all in my school, because
the doodles were a learning tool.
Relaxing me into listening.
Now when I write it flows out like music,
still not pretty, most definitely
not neat, but it moves
in rhythm to my internal beat.
No comments:
Post a Comment