She sits, nails bitten to the quick.
Fear chiselled into eyes. He places
his heavy hand upon her thigh,
bruises hidden by time,
grips a little too tight, a wince.
He grins through
cigarette-stained teeth,
faint smell of alcohol.
A scent of death lingers behind him,
as if no good can ever orbit his world,
as she flinches away, instinctively, no fight,
letting her thoughts fly to another sky.
Will she, one day, say 'no more'
depart on a different bus?
I wonder, if she knows she can escape
to somewhere beyond the pain, through
the grey slate rain that has poured for days.
In hope I pray she runs.
If any deity is listening,
grant her strength, I say
under my breath.
But faded, distant gods
don't ever listen to prayers
when you whisper them
to the shore. For she is sure
he will change when the wind
diverts its course.
He leers at the girl
walking the concrete,
through beer-goggle vision.
Fourteen, can't be any more,
and I'm shocked to my core.
Can man fall any more?
And outside lightning glares
through the atmosphere.
An angry god, I think in hope.
And in the strobe lighting
I see enlightenment, frightening,
this is no man, but a demon
in the flesh, drooling as he stares.
She sits nails bitten,
no claws to scratch back.
But she looks into his eyes,
sees nothing inside. Nothing worth
a moment of time. No love, no hope.
Just oozing slime of a demon mind,
and she screams inside. No fucking more.
She hands him back the keys to his flat.
And walks into the night.
And I smile under fluorescent station light.
And say well done, stay strong.
No comments:
Post a Comment