I stare at your face, every soft curve
perfectly in place, your hair, every one
of its millions of strands elegant, a frame
for beauty, and I stare, with eyes glazed.
As your lips raise, I realise you're speaking,
and I regain my focus - those softly spoken words,
a wish of a dream, a kiss on the breeze, a drifting
lullaby of memories to be...
And the sound of the room
comes rushing in like a flood.
Every splattered laugh, every cough,
every gasp, every whisper, every over-excited shout,
the fruit machine in the corner, coins rushing out,
a cacophony of copper, a glass dropped,
a car alarm goes off. I feel myself shudder.
And I tune them out to focus on your sweet tone.
And you lead me along a road of so many stories,
fantasies, a travelogue of fantastic journeys,
and I walk every step. No, I dance. Because they
sprinkle spring in the heels of my feet.
A season of rebirth,
as the lush thoughts grow.
But the glow of the lights
pulls me back - the blinking
of the fruit machine, the reflection
of light in clinking glasses,
the movement, the discord,
the flowing crowd of human rain.
It sounds strange, but it brings pain,
too much stimulation in the brain.
I'd be better in a computer simulation,
a hologram of my own creation.
And I breathe in. Your soft perfume
teases my nose, so delicate, gentle, loving.
A summer glade on a perfect day, I picture
rushing waterfalls and rosemary, a lush green
field, a blanket where we can lay, and wait
for eternity, and never feel time getting in the way.
But then I sense the scent of sweat and musk,
the overbearing aftershave, the waft of Lynx deodorant.
Did you use a whole can, young man? I'm stuttering
over my drink, I can barely
Think.
My brain can't seem to
link thoughts any
more.
But I'm drawn on your words.
Little scrawled doodles,
and I wish to be a painting
on your walls, a portrait that you
can look upon with pride
and love in your eyes, like I feel
when I look at you
and see such beautiful skies.
But I'm distracted, the waves
of this ocean are making me seasick.
I'm better company when it's just me
and some soft music.
We could escape. If you'd let me take your hand,
we could walk in the green, feel the grass
and the gravity, watch the stars playing with
love in their eyes. We could breathe.
And I'd liken that to a perfect eve.
The sort that makes the world we walk on
weave the air with fairytales.
No comments:
Post a Comment