Friday 27 October 2023

Wish you were here

 


Beneath the arch I walk,

quickening my pace.

To that old marketplace,

as I did so many times before,

though that archway wasn't there,

a future ghost,

now stands proudly in space.

Memories start to race.

The sweet zingy taste of fruit

teasing lips in that cold air.

The scent of doughnuts wafted over

echoes of voices raised,

check out their wares. They exclaimed.

Produce as far as the eye could see,

for a little boy, colours blended

into a sea of vibrant variety,

Fruit of life, from every national cuisine.

Taking in the scene here in this daydream.

 

I wish you were here.

 

I remember the smell

overpowering young nose.

Where the old fish market stood,

slops down the drains,

stains the mind,

that smell, I can still taste it

in my daydream. The indoor market,

magic walkways to higher floors.

I was sure there was always

some hidden toy store,

with everything I could ever wish for.

 

Now I only wish you were here

 

Lewis's tower loomed over

Humberstone Gate,

and the Christmas lights await.

In my mind’s eye

It is always Christmas time there

and snow was always lingering in the air.

To the old cafe, down the darkened alleyway.

You would sit and watch the world

cigarette-stained fingertips, flicking Ash

into foil ashtray.

The smell of coffee climbed

into my head mixing

with the smoky haze

and there it stayed.

So young. I couldn't sit

and appreciate,

but now how much I'd love

to just take a seat with you there.

 

If I was lucky

to dominoes we would go.

Money was low, but I would walk in,

eyes aglow, 

at the toys and games on display.

Proclaiming proudly in childish glee

that I'd run a toy shop one day.

So, I could play with any toy I wished,

and in a way I did,

I learnt that words are like toys,

that when you twist their gears

and let them go,

they spring into motion,

they come alive.

I just wish I could turn the gear

on your life

and have a few more years

by your side.

 

Thanks for reading

Please follow the link for my books, 
 
videos and social media.
 
 
Every click, every book purchase, 
 
every like helps me to keep doing what I love.
 
Peace, Love & Poetry 
 
Kyle


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here i will reply to all

Name

Email *

Message *