Saturday 14 October 2023

Misted windows of the dream world

 


I wake up in a cold sweat.

Knees held, strapped to my chest.

Hugged as tightly as a lover,

but I must confess

my body doesn't bend like this.

I'm panting for breath.

What had scared me so?

I gaze into the misted windows

of the dream world, still visible

but fading quickly.

I peered within,

only seeing a fleeting shadow

bleed into the darkness slickly.

 

Terrified, I try to prise my fingers apart,

set tight like a vice or clamp,

to free my legs from my grip.

If I stay in this position much longer

I'll end up bent double with ice in my veins

and a terrible bout of cramp,

but those fingers are locked,

like if I were to let my body spread,

then the only outcome will be

to wind up dead.

 

I sense I'm not alone.

When loneliness

is your closest companion 

you can feel when someone

else is in the room.

It's like the air is charged.

Any movement will send

a spark to your heart,

stopping you dead.

Leaving you staring

at the deadlights ahead.

 

I glance at the clock.

Expecting hours to have circled past,

but it was less than five minutes

since I'd opened my eyes last.

"This is going to be a bloody long night."

I say to nobody,

"Yes, it is" 

they reply.

 

 


Thanks for reading

Please follow the link for my books, 
 
videos and social media.
 
 
Every click, every book purchase, 
 
every like helps me to keep doing what I love.
 
Peace, Love & Poetry 
 
Kyle



 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here i will reply to all

Name

Email *

Message *