Monday 6 November 2023

The dead space in my head

 


I walk past the old cemetery,

the dead space in my head.

Searching in vain

for a place to quieten the constant rain.

Looking for a piece of life,

to find some peace of mind,

to piece together this jigsaw-puzzle brain.

It's a hard place to live sometimes,

it's always so constant, the noise,

it rattles away all hours, looking for cause,

looking for reason, looking for purpose,

that sometimes I need to search

for a place to bathe in still waters.

 

It struggles. On a page it can relate

tales aplenty, make words flow like sedate rivers,

across whole land stretches.

All created in the briefest of times

with just a flick of a switch,

but when it's in human company

it shuts down completely.

Leaves me naked, not wearing a stitch.

It seems to want me to hide from the day.

Leaving me to work

on emergency power, sparks ebbing away.

Everything is slow, the words won't flow,

thoughts stuck, lodged tightly in my throat,

I stand exposed.

 

Anxiety leaks from the ceiling

onto me, into me, and I'm there standing

freezing. Stuttering like a video buffering,

waiting for the next piece to download

before starting to play.

So, I just sway, wobble and stare into space.

Trying not to overload.

People see me and walk away.

I'm a social person,

but I can't be social on cue,

it has to be a connection that feels true,

it takes time to grow roots.

So, for those moments

the vision of me can seem quiet askew.

 

I wish I could be like you.

I'd love to walk into a room,

be able to share,

to be less self-aware.

I'd love to be able to speak,

to be able to joke

like I do when I'm with one

that I can open up to.

But in a room.

I feel encircled,

my thoughts unravel,

just waiting for the ground

to open up and swallow.

 

 

Thanks for reading

Please follow the link for my books, 
 
videos and social media.
 
 
Every click, every book purchase, 
 
every like helps me to keep doing what I love.
 
Peace, Love & Poetry 
 
Kyle

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here i will reply to all

Name

Email *

Message *