Thursday 11 April 2024

a scrunched up crisp packet of pain

 


Bent double,

I staggered, slipped

headfirst into trouble.

Something was wrong.

Stomach twisted in barbed wire grip.

In my ears, not the usual songs.

I heard waves,

then a bubble burst.

I felt myself float skywards

as the crimson flowed

out of me.

 

Scrunched,

like a crisp packet,

wracked in pain.

I stacked unwanted thoughts,

like refilling a

supermarket shelf

to stop the aching.

It kept coming.Shaking.

The fear making the pain

feel twice as menacing.

Flooding.

Haemorrhaging

Every part of my life emptying

over walls, floors, doors.

A wash over my clothes.

Red from head to toe.

I bled, a torrent from my throat.

 

Strength. left to fend for itself

I stumbled, swaying, cursing my health,

like a drunk on payday

but I haven't touched

a drop in years.

Did someone spike my drink?

Or is this just arrears

for the debts I accrued

over forgotten tears.

Blue lights flare as I drift, 

somewhere not here.

 

Supine, I watch through

blurry drugged eyes.

Foggy existence

of chemical smiles.

Parallel to the earth,

interred in hospital grave.

Is this my final night?

Do I have strength enough to fight?

Why not add some pneumonia 

for good measure?

Make it a double.

It'll be my pleasure

 

I started to see a future 

in words, popping into existence.

Just little budding stars

starting to form, in the edges of dreams.

Beyond the nightly screams

from two beds down.

I found myself rising

slowly from the grave.

Ink sprayed across my palms,

I questioned.

Is this how I will be saved?

 

 

 

Thanks for reading.

taken from the #escapril prompt

"Posture"

 

Please take a few moments 

to check out my new book "Poetic Outlaw"

available from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CVQ5F9K8/

Follow this link for all of my books, 
 
videos and social media.
 
 
Every click, every book purchase, 
 
every like and share 
 
really helps me 
 
to keep doing what I love.
 
 
Peace, Love & Poetry 
 
Kyle
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here i will reply to all

Name

Email *

Message *