Thursday 4 April 2024

Eye contact through the fog

 


Our eyes connected

long distance

across a crowded room,

whilst my mind was insisting

on counting the people,

finding the exits, digesting the situation,

and starting to panic.

Our eyes were in contact

long before my mind

could collect

any piece of information.

that made any sense.

It was all too fogged up

by a pea souper so dense.

 

Our eyes were

making loving signs,

but I find my mind struggles

to understand words not underlined,

nor pointed out with arrows 

or spoken loudly then repeated 

over and over.

Some people think I'm cowardly,

but I’m deep undercover,

so deep that even I forget

I'm there sometimes, 

and the grass has 

started to cover.

My mouth sits silent,

but my heart is a lover.

To get the two to connect

takes time,

pulling the wires together

takes patience

until the electricity flows direct.

 

Our eyes collided in that corridor,

mine were looking for the exit door,

yours were staring down at the floor.

For just the briefest glance at the future

It felt right. Your eyes looked into mine,

mine sweating profusely, 

yours apologising confusingly, 

I'm sure it was my fault entirely.

Yours seeing something inside.

Mine wanting to make you smile,

but as so often happens

my mind didn't see,

didn't connect the threads.

So, into the darkness of night

my fearful feet fled.

 

 

 

Thanks for reading.

taken from the #escapril prompt

"Eye contact"

 

Please take a few moments 

to check out my new book "Poetic Outlaw"

available from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CVQ5F9K8/

Follow this link for all of my books, 
 
videos and social media.
 
 
Every click, every book purchase, 
 
every like and share 
 
really helps me 
 
to keep doing what I love.
 
 
Peace, Love & Poetry 
 
Kyle
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here i will reply to all

Name

Email *

Message *