Sunday 7 April 2024

We embraced the outside

 


We embraced the outside,

chased life, like trying

to catch butterflies

over fields of summer sunlight.

Summers that were undying.

A united playground.

Children always around.

Never a quiet day,

but we wouldn't have it any other way.

Water fights on scorching days,

Superman and batman

costumes worn with glee.

We sliced maze pathways

through head high nettles.

Dock leaves ever ready,

we showed out mettle.

 

Dived down hills

with no care for our health.

Put the discovery

of new joys

above the plastic,

of a world

filled with expensive toys.

Instead, we explored,

imagined,

Invested brain cells.

Gazing with amazement

at the world we laid upon.

 

We embraced the outside.

Our landscape of mystery,

a treehouse hidden in the foliage

high in the leaves.

The feathered visitors. Our neighbours.

Always someone to sit with us when in need.

We walked for miles at a time,

down train lines,

to the countryside.

Along the canal

we walked eyes wide.

Worrying not about the clocks,

more invested

in opening the locks,

wanting to feel pride.

and let them barges go off

to explore their own storylines.

So many storylines. So little time.

 

But even back then

I was being handed truth,

I was always surrounded,

but I was alone too.

I was aloof, distant.

I spent most of my youth alone.

Exploring the world ahead.

Listening more to the sounds 

echoing inside my head,

I couldn't understand

the world I was walked within,

the storylines or where they led.

 

 

Thanks for reading.

taken from the #escapril prompt

"A childhood memory"

 

Please take a few moments 

to check out my new book "Poetic Outlaw"

available from Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CVQ5F9K8/

Follow this link for all of my books, 
 
videos and social media.
 
 
Every click, every book purchase, 
 
every like and share 
 
really helps me 
 
to keep doing what I love.
 
 
Peace, Love & Poetry 
 
Kyle
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here i will reply to all

Name

Email *

Message *